The most-shared Super Bowl ad of all time is Volkswagen’s 2011 spot “The Force” (5.2 million shares), according to a recent report by Unruly Media.
The analysis looked at how many times Super Bowl ads were shared on Facebook, Twitter, and on blogs both before and after the games. Some interesting findings include:
- Volkswagen is also the brand with the most Super Bowl shares combined for all ads, followed by Budweiser, Universal Pictures, and Doritos.
- The most shares (3.3 million) from Super Bowl 2013 were recorded on Super Bowl Monday (February 4)—twice as many as the next biggest day, February 5 (1.6 million shares), and nine times more than the number of shares recorded on Super Bowl Sunday.
- The average length of the top 10 Super Bowl ads more than doubled (112%) from 2010 to 2013 (from 42 seconds to 89 seconds).
- The average share rate (the ratio of viewers who also shared) of Super Bowl ads nearly doubled between 2012 and 2013. In 2012, it took 57 views to generate one share, in 2013, it took 31 views.
- Three of the top 10 most-shared Super Bowl ads of all time are movie trailers (Fast 5, Fast and Furious 6, and Star Trek Into Darkness).
- 60% of the most-shared Super Bowl ads of all time were launched before Super Bowl Sunday.
- Seven of the top 20 most-shared ads from Super Bowl 2013 were supported by teasers.
Without further ado, here are the rest of the top 10 most-shared Super Bowl ads of all time:
2. Budweiser, 2002, “9/11 Tribute” (3.34 million shares)
3. Budweiser, 2013, “Brotherhood” (2.73 million shares)
4. Ram Trucks, 2013, “Farmer” (1.89 million shares)
5. Universal, 2013, “Fast and Furious 6 Trailer” (1.51 million shares views)
Like what you are reading?
Follow MDG Advertising and always be in the know.
6. Chevrolet, 2012, “OK Go—Needing/Getting” (1.25 million shares views)
7. Volkswagen, 2012, “The Bark Side” (901,401 shares)
8. Universal, 2011, “Fast Five Trailer” (888,686 shares)
9. Paramount, 2013, “Star Trek Into the Darkness Trailer” (707,457 shares)
10. M&Ms, 2012, “Sexy and I Know It” (545,601 shares)
MDG Advertising, a full-service advertising agency with offices in Boca Raton and New York, NY, is one of Florida’s top branding firms. MDG’s capabilities include print advertising, direct mail marketing, branding, logo design, creative, digital marketing, media buying and planning, radio and TV advertising, Web design and development, online video advertising, infographic development, email marketing, content marketing, social media marketing, and SEO. To learn about the latest trends in advertising and branding, contact MDG Advertising today at 561-338-7797 or visit mdgadvertising.com.