The holiday season is here and digital advertisers believe that social platforms like Google and Facebook have the most to give to their holiday marketing campaigns. With advertisers planning to spend an average of 62% of their holiday budgets on digital marketing efforts this year, the 2016 Holiday Advertising Survey Report from Kenshoo and direct response agency OrionCKB showed that Facebook and Google were at the top of their list for their seasonal marketing spend. MediaPost.com shared more on why advertisers are feeling that Facebook and Google are the greatest gifts to their holiday marketing campaigns.
Search Marketing Presents Many Opportunities
The report surveyed both retail and e-commerce advertisers on their holiday ad spending plan to maximize sales and revenue. The results revealed:
- 71% planned to spend more on Facebook this year than they did last year.
- 75% of in-house marketers shared that their Google spend was higher year-over-year for 2016.
- Around 50% of outsourced marketers planned to increase their spend with Google and on search.
- 74% said that Google Search Keywords ads were very important to their holiday marketing, which may be attributed to Google’s Expanded Text Ads, which allow for 50% more space, twice the number of headlines, and nearly three times more characters than in prior years.
- 61% named Product Listing Ads (PLAs) as essential to their holiday marketing efforts.
Social Media Marketing Unwraps Endless Possibilities
Advertisers believed that social media marketing was worth just as much of their attention and spend as search. Just as with search, the amount of the advertising budgets for Facebook varied by whether the company’s marketing was in-house or outsourced. Companies with in-house marketing teams planned to direct 36% of their social media advertising budget to Facebook, while those with outsourced teams were devoting more than 50% of their social ad spend to Facebook.
The Happiest Time of the Year
And while digital marketing experts agree that both Google and Facebook are worthwhile ways to reach holiday consumers, they disagree on when the holiday season actually begins.
- 47% thought the holiday season started October 1.
- 26% believed it began on November 1.
- 13% said the holidays were here on Thanksgiving and Black Friday.
See how digital marketing is ushering in the holidays. Contact MDG Advertising.
MDG Advertising, a full-service advertising agency with offices in Boca Raton and New York, NY, is one of Florida’s top branding firms. MDG’s capabilities include print advertising, direct mail marketing, branding, logo design, creative, media buying and planning, radio and TV advertising, outdoor, newspaper, digital marketing, website design and development, online video advertising, infographic development, email marketing, video marketing, mobile marketing, content marketing, social media marketing, paid search marketing, and SEO. To learn about the latest trends in advertising and branding, contact MDG Advertising.
Written by Michael Del Gigante