Big Ten schools know the value of rivalries, so they’re leveraging this competitive spirit by cheering on others to show their fan spirit via selfies. The Big Ten Network (BTN) recently announced a three-week search for the most inspired and inspiring selfies snapped in front of legendary locations in New York and New Jersey. To get in the game, fans must show their school pride through the lens of their love for New York and New Jersey, and then post these photos to social media to win big prizes. This selfie search is running in conjunction with the Big Ten’s addition of Maryland and Rutgers on July 1. The goal is to build buzz for BTN’s more aggressive move into the market by providing fans with a forum to show and share their school spirit. MyCentralJersey.com offered a closer at BTN’s game plan to score big with social media.
Along with bragging rights, six winners will snap up an impressive roster of prize packages, including:
- Two tickets to the 2014 Big Ten Football Championship Game in Indianapolis in December, including airfare plus two nights’ hotel and ground transportation
- A weekend trip for two to the BTN Big 10K and 5K race and Tailgate in Chicago on July 26, including airfare plus two nights’ hotel and VIP access/entry to the event
- Two all-session tickets to the 2015 Big Ten Men’s Basketball Tournament in Chicago
- 50-inch flat-screen TV
- A football autographed by the head coach of the Big Ten school selected by the winner
- A basketball autographed by the head coach of the Big Ten school chosen by the winner
To play along for prizes, fans must upload their selfie submission to their public Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram account using the hashtag #ThinkB1GNY. Entries must be received by 11:59 p.m. EDT on June 26th. Judging will be based 50% on expression of Big Ten school pride, 40 percent on the display of background locations, and 10% on overall creativity. Contest rules are available on BTN.com.
The BTN is making a smart move by playing off the popularity of selfies and social media in what is bound to be a winning strategy.
MDG Advertising, a full-service advertising agency with offices in Boca Raton and New York City, is one of Florida’s top branding firms. MDG’s capabilities include print advertising, direct mail marketing, branding, logo design, creative, digital marketing, media buying and planning, radio and TV advertising, Web design and development, online video advertising, infographic development, email marketing, content marketing, social media marketing, and SEO. For the latest trends in advertising and branding, contact MDG Advertising today at 561-338-7797 or visit mdgadvertising.com.
Written by Michael Del Gigante